| What are Conditionals in English Grammar |
- If schools will open, we will go.
- What will you eat if you miss lunchtime?
- How can you complete your assignment if you don't attend school.
- What happens if you don't appear in the exam.
1. The Zero Conditional
When do we use the Zero Conditional?
The zero conditional is applied to communicate:
- general patterns
- permanent facts
See the following examples:-
- If I am sick, I go to the doctor early. (This is what I usually do.)
- If you boil the milk at 100°C, it boils. (This is a scientific fact.)
In both these instances, we are speaking about a general time, not direct or the future.
How do we form the Zero Conditional?
The structure of the zero conditional is:
If + present simple, present simple.
If you keep water in the freezer, it freezes.
It’s also likely to use the exact format but switching the two clauses:-
Present simple if + present simple.
Water freezes if you keep it in the freezer.
Some examples of zero conditionals are as follows:-
- If I have exams, I study more at home.
- If we are free we go to the zoo.
- Teacher scolds the students if they miss their homework.
- If the weather is cold, we avoid eating ice cream.
- If I feel stomach ache, I take a tablet.
| What are Conditionals in English Grammar |
- Related Post:-Adverbs-Types & Examples
It’s proper to understand that you can substitute ‘if’ in the above sentences with ‘when’ in a condition in which you’re sure the activity happens. For example,
When I my students have exams, I stay in the School until late.
This condition occurs.
Zero conditional can’t be used to mention to a certain time, like the future or the past. It’s only used for general truths.
The zero conditional is easy to use.
2. First Conditional
When to use the first conditional
The first conditional is used to tell the future outcome of a natural prospect currently or in the future. As is clear in the following example:-
- If I miss my exams, I’ll appear next year.
There is a 50% probability that the first part of this sentence (the action following ‘if’) will occur. And if it occurs, the second part is 100% sure.
Creating the First Conditional
To create a sentence in the first conditional, we use:-
If + present simple, will/won’t + verb.
- If I go there, I’ll bring a gift for you.
- If I complete this assignment, I won’t have to do it again.
Like all conditionals we can also switch this format:
Will + verb if + present simple.
- I’ll bring a gift for you if I go there.
- I won’t have to do this assignment again if I complete it.
As an alternative to a will, It’s feasible to finish the second part of the first conditional sentence with a modal verb or an imperative. For example,
- If it rains, we can’t play football.
- If it rains, take your umbrellas before going outside.
The essential point to remember with the first conditional is that we can never use will close if. Will can only occur in the other aspect of the sentence. For example,
- We’ll be satisfied if the customer receives our request.
Examples of first conditional
- If you work hard, you'll pass the exam.
- If we don't pass the exam, we will not be promoted to the next class.
- I will explain the topic again if you don't understand it.
- If you perform well in the exam, you will get the first position.
- You won't miss the train if you will be on time.
| What are Conditionals in English Grammar |
As you have noticed, the first conditional is used in many various conditions. So it’s definitely a format that’s worth understanding and practicing.
3. Second conditional
When to use the second conditional
The second conditional is used to describe the result of an idealistic motion or condition in the present or future. The condition can be:
- Very unlikely (1-5% possibility)
- Thoroughly unrealistic (with a 0% probability)
For example,
- If I get the prize bond, I would go to Canada.
There is a very low chance (1% chance) that the first part of this sentence (getting the prize bond’) will occur. But if it occurs, the second part is 100% sure.
- If I had more spare time, I would participate in more sports.
- I don’t have much spare time (0%), but in that chance, the second part is 100% sure.
How do we create the Second Conditional?
To create a sentence in the second conditional, we use,
If + past simple, would/wouldn’t + verb.
- If I lived in New York, I would visit out more constantly.
- If I lived in a developed country, I wouldn’t require a car.
As with all conditionals, you can also switch this structure:
Would + verb if + past simple.
- I’d visit out more frequently if I lived in New York.
- I wouldn’t require a car if I lived in a developed country.
As an alternative to would, we can finish the second part of
a second conditional sentence with could. For example,
If we lived in a developed country we could use public transport.
An exception about the verb ‘to be’
When we apply the verb ‘to be’ in the second conditional, the past form is consistently "were" and not "was" for the subjects I, he, she, and it. For example,
- If I were wealthy, I’d visit all the adventurous places.
- If he were the honor of the company, I’d quit the job.
- If it weren’t so hot, we could go out for exercise.
It can be tough to comprehend when it’s good to use the second conditional rather than the first. I think it allows us to identify that we normally use the second conditional when we discuss mythical conditions, dreaming about probable conditions and how we would act accordingly. For example,
- If we were wealthy, we could purchase a great house near in New York.
- What would you do if your firm offered you a new job in another company?
- He wouldn’t attend the feast even if we requested him.
| What are Conditionals in English Grammar |
Polite requests
We also use the second conditional to create very polite demands. For example,
- Would you BE ANGRY if I used your book?
- Would it be alright if we come to your home?
- Would it upset you if I shut the door?
Third conditional
When do we use the third conditional?
The third conditional is applied to describe the past outcome of unrealistic circumstances in the past.
For example,
- If he worked properly, he would have got good marks.
The first step (worked properly) did not occur. But in the possibility that he occurred, the result was getting good marks. The third conditional is very equivalent to the second conditional. But while the second conditional refers to something idealistic currently or in the future, the third conditional refers to something idealistic in the past.
We often use the third conditional to express guilt – clarifying things we are unfortunate occurred or didn’t occur. For example,
- If I had not gotten up early, I wouldn’t have been late from the office.
How do we create the third conditional?
To create a sentence in the third conditional, we use,
If + past perfect, would/wouldn’t have + past participle.
- If you had informed me about the conference, I would have arrived.
- If you had informed me about the conference, I wouldn’t have skipped it.
As with all conditionals, you can also switch this format:
Would have + past participle if + past perfect.
- I’d have arrived to the conference if you’d informed me about it.
- I wouldn’t have skipped the conference if you’d informed me about it.
The term "would" is often employed by native speakers. It’s also fine to apply this in casual writing. And in lecture, it’s expected to employ to have the in the third conditional. For example,
- I’d’ve come to the conference if you’d informed me.
Yet, we can’t write this, even in a casual context. It’s good to be conscious of it though, so you can recognize it when native speakers say it.
As an option to "would", we can finish the second part of a third conditional sentence with could. For example,
- If I’d remained at university, I could have acquired a master's degree.
Examples of third conditional:-
- He’d have got the employment if he hadn’t been so upset in the interview.
- What would you have accomplished if you’d been me?
- The firm would have persisted if there hadn’t been a slump.
- Would you have received the request if we’d decreased the cost?
- If they hadn’t defeated that competition, the company would have removed the director.
- They could have remained here if they hadn’t discovered any lodging.
No comments:
Post a Comment